Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Doughnuts Donuts

100% Whole wheat flour doughnuts

There is one doughnut I know of we can eat. It's a gluten free doughnut in the freezer section at our local natural foods market, and it's pricey. So, we make our own, and it's much nicer to have a fresh one from the fryer. All other doughnuts seem to be loaded with milk, soy, and nuts are everywhere in a bakery.

With all of our food restrictions we try not to worry about fats, and less about sugar. I do use organic sugars, and syrups and healthy fat oils however. We like Rice oil for frying.

Recipe:
Again, I don't follow one directly. I often google recipes, and for this doughnut I used the a yeast risen dough. I also like a "cake doughnut" recipe, putting to use all of our substitutions. They are quite good with fresh grated nutmeg in them. Whenever a recipe calls for shortening I replace it with oil and applesauce. Something about that combination is perfect for making this moist and delicious.

Because I don't stick to a recipe, sometimes the donuts aren't perfect, but anything deep fried with a sugar glaze is still pretty good!

Mix powdered sugar with water, or milk, and a touch of oil, vanilla and food coloring optional, to glaze the donuts out of the fryer. I've used beet juice to color frosting's before because I was worried about a reaction. I hope to find some natural food coloring that don't change the flavor, because the beet juice was a little overpowering (although the kids didn't notice).

These things are gone faster than you could imagine, and I can feel good about my kids eating them--that can't be said about most doughnuts!

No comments:

Post a Comment