Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Bye Bye to Plastics

Dinner sans plastics, serving Mediterranean Cous Cous, Apple Sauce, and White Bean Soup with Sausage and Kale

In an effort to help our seemingly super sensitive child heal, after doing some reading up on it, we decided to rid our house of all plastics. Well, at least the ones we eat directly off of. This was really hard for me because I carefully chose each sippy cup, plate and bowl to fit the personality of each kid. For my 2 year old, it was Bob the Builder sets, for my 4 year old girl Disney and Hello Kitty, and I even had some chic table wear for our infant, BUT they were all plastic. The plastics were degrading from the dishwasher, and dimpled from the microwave, they even started to have that plastic "smell", you know the one.
With a bit of determination I boxed it all up (3 overflowing boxes), and bought some glass from the local thrift store. I am not sure if ceramic is that much better than plastic (I would guess it depends), so I am still on the look out for safe eating wear. We've had quite a few broken glasses, but I still feel it's worth limiting the amount of PCB's, flame retardants, and other toxins leaching off the plastic into my sons already taxed immune system. I am also amazed by the amount of plastics used all around us. I had never stopped to notice. I haven't decided to decide on that yet :)
Will it be the answer to our household allergies? Probably not, but here's tyring, and what can it hurt? My kids do know to FREEZE at the sound of broken glass though :)
What inspires you?

No comments:

Post a Comment