Monday, June 28, 2010

Nuts and Bolts

Here's some of the things that keep us together day to day; the groceries, the quick recipes, the standards.


Where I shop

I shop at least twice a week, perhaps more especially if you count the farmers market. I run around to pretty much every grocery store in the area, really. Here's the best of what I've found ranked by preference


Huckleberry's: you really can't beat their sales on the wide variety of grocery items with allergies, organic, and overall ethical sources in mind. We spend some denero there for sure.


Independent farms: I've found since switching to homemade rather than processed this is obviously where the bulk of our food comes from. From eggs, to chicken, to beef and local veggies we love to support our GMO free farmers. These good srouces have taken time to research.

Pilgrim's Cd'A: This is the first place we discovered Hemp milk in the stores, so we are so grateful to them. They also have a good selection, but not quite as big as Huckleberries. I do shop there often and LOVE the customer service.


Main Market, Spokane Public Market, and Fresh Abundance: I love everything about these stores, but it's hard finanically when you're feeding a family of 5 to shop at these speciality organic stores when I know I can get things less expensive at Fred Meyer. I do support local, where I can. Plus, these are a drive for me.


Grocery Outlets, Bargain centers: Nothing like finding a good deal on organics for cheap. I scour the places and buy all that I can because they won't have the item around long. These include Grocery Outlet, Big Lots, Toys R Us (not bargain, but they have snack items you won't find anywhere else) and TJ Max (yup, they get organic oils, and organic convenience items in).



Chain stores: Safeway has "O" Organics, Albertson's has Wild Harvest Organics, and most Western Family stores have "Natural Direction" Organics. If I go around to all the different stores (preferably without the kids) I quickly scan for sales or good organic foods. It helps us have more variety. And Fred Meyer has an excellent, although small, natural food selection.


Costco: They have some great prices, but not very many organic items. I do try to steer clear of them though, because their company is hand in hand with the largest corporations pushing genetic modification in our food. For instance their "chocolate cake" like many other foods you buy is nearly all corn and soy based (Check Harmful Food Additives .COM)


I would love to grow our own produce, but have not had much luck there, unless you count a million radishes. I am trying to set up an organic garden, so perhaps next year we'll be ready?


When we're out of town I hit their stores too. I wish we have a Trader Joes and Whole Foods. Wish.




Staples


Breakfast might pancakes, waffles, french toast, oatmeal cereal, eggs, or muffins. Most often pancakes with real maple syrup.


Sweet Potato Piecakes

1 1/2 C whole wheat flour

1 egg

2 T oil

1 small jar sweet potatos

1 t baking powder

1 t apple cider vinegar (substitute for buttermilk flavor)

dash salt

"pumpkin pie spice"

1 C milk alternative or enough for right consistancy



Sometimes I use white flour, but then I add more "good stuff" like flaxseed meal, fruit, more hidden veggies, or protein powder (we use rice protien powder).


BREAD:

Rudi's Organic, any viriaty is the best bread we've found. I tried to make my own, but as much bread as we go through I'd never leave the kitchen, and mine doesn't always turn out!


Lunch: Sandwiches of some sort, lately egg sandwhiches with homemade mayo (it's easy). I am going to start making my own veggie burgers and see if they like those (we have our meat course at night). Our sensitive one gets very sick from procesed meats, even the organic ones, so we're still food journaling this interaction. It's been 3 days since he's had some processed sausage, and I still smell in on his breath. Yuck, poor kid, it must just stew in his tummy unable to digest. It takes awhile for him to work it out. I don't want to give him medication for it though, as that is what we did in the past to help his stomach "empty". I hope this bout is over soon.



Pop Tarts: Those deserve a catogry in themselves. Unfrosted, milk and soy free. http://www.naturespath.com/products/toaster%20pastries?tid=All&brand=All&nutri=All



This is my daughter with her cookbook, mixing bowl, feeding her animals. I think she's seen me in the kitchen often lately.


No comments:

Post a Comment