Monday, June 21, 2010

Quick Chili with Organic Heirloom Blue Corn Tortilla's

Soy Free, Dairy Free, Nut Free, Gluten Free, Organic, Vegan


Time gets in the way of cooking healthy, or so it's said right? I've found just the opposite. With just a little bit of planning, healthy allergy-friendly meals can be "thrown" together. Here's a quick nutritious meal and what helped to get us there, that I cannot live without; the menu plan.


Quick Chili

1 can of Organic Pinto Beans (buy lined cans to avoid PCB's)
1/2 cup Organic frozen Corn (google "GMO" and "Organic" to find more about this choice)
1 T Chili seasoning (cumin, chili powder, paprika, salt, pepper, garlic powder, onions)
1/2 Cup reserved Organic tomato sauce or spaghetti sauce
1/8 C Organic Olive Oil (for healthy fats)
browned ground Organic Turkey or Free Range Beef *optional

simmer for 10 mn until warm through


Rustic Organic Heirloom Blue Corn Tortilla's

*I don't use recipes, but just throw things together. I am not a perfectionist, and neither is my family, so everyone is very forgiving. This does give me courage to try things out. Please feel free to add and take away as you feel, it's OK!

1/2 C Organic Heirloom Blue Corn
1/2 C Organic Flour *use gluten free for this allergy
1 teas. salt
1/4 C Organic Oil (I like Organic Safflower)
water to moisten

mix into a dough consistency, roll into small balls, and roll with a rolling pin. If you have a tortilla press you can make perfect shapes; I don't mind the rustic shape however. Cook in an oiled skillet on medium until browned on either side.

The kids (ages 2 and 3) weren't huge fans of the chili, but did eat enough to suit me. They filled up on the Tortilla's with honey, jam, and dipped in the chili. I almost always serve a Green Smoothie (recipe to come) for dinner as well, to boost the nutrition choices on the table.

This took about 20 mn to make total, not bad for covering so many food groups!


Here is a typical menu hanging on the fridge. I menu plan on Sunday nights, usually by sitting with a few cookbooks to get ideas, and some snack food cause it'll make you hungry!



No comments:

Post a Comment