Thursday, June 24, 2010

The Winners and the Loosers

I remember a serious flop I had in trying to make wholesome food for my family. Something about lemon juice, flour, vinegar, and hemp milk that made a perfect explosion in what should have been very yummy blueberry muffins. We all scraped the muffin tins anyway. Here's another try at new recipes.
Energy Bars


1 C Sun butter, or other peanut and tree nut substitutes
1/2 C Organic Oats
1/2 Honey

Glaze
1/2 C Organic Powdered Sugar
~1 T milk alternative

Stir, press into pan, and refrigerate. Drizzle with glaze
These were a winner. The kids thought they were getting store bought cereal bars. I wrapped each one up in foil and put it in our to-go bags. I think the frosting really helped :)


Colorful Coleslaw


1/2 head red cabbage
1 carrot grated
raisins
1/2 C Mayo (I make my own with rice oil, as there are no mayo's on the market that are soy free or Organic)
2 T honey or agave, or Organic sugar

Mix mayo and sugar first, then add to chopped ingredients.

Even though I made this extra sweet and lots of raisins, you could probably guess the kids still didn't enjoy this one. We are exposing them to these veggies though, and perhaps next time they'll try a bite!

No comments:

Post a Comment